CLASSIFICATION: Non-Exempt/Hourly/Full-time Seasonal
PROGRAM: Home Energy Assistance Program
REPORTS TO: Program Director
Serves as Agency contact for all incoming calls, answers calls and directs caller to appropriate resources. Provide assistance to callers requesting specific information with regard to the status of their application, or how to apply to the program. Schedule intake appointments for prospective Fuel Assistance clients and gives detailed information as to what documentation is required. Provides information on other available resources within the community.
- Performs all responsibilities with the highest degree of professionalism. Maintains client confidentiality.
- Gathers all information necessary to determine if new or existing client, determine client’s needs and concerns, and answers client’s questions.
- Counsels clients in relation to their needs. Provides information on Self Help Fuel Assistance program, Energy Conservation programs, and other available services and programs.
- If information cannot be obtained from database, the caller’s concerns are noted and given to appropriate staff person for follow through.
- If appropriate refer callers to volunteer agencies to facilitate intake process within their home communities.
- Provides translation assistance.
- Provides information on utility forgiveness programs.
- Provides information on the availability of resources for households who have exhausted their Fuel Assistance benefits, or who may need referrals to non-energy related agencies.
- Provides clerical assistance to Payments Coordinator in preparing mailings to vendors and clients, and other duties as deemed necessary and appropriate.
- Provides assistance to LIHEAP Program Director with various outreach projects.
- Works closely with Receptionist to maintain appointment log and providing proper notification of any appointment scheduled due to an emergency situation.
- Supports the Fast Track review process for emergencies.
- Other duties as deemed necessary and appropriate.
- Flexibility – able to easily adapt to new program guidelines and requirements, able to adjust to changing client issues as they arise.
- Communication proficiency – able to explain complex program requirements in a manner that is understood by the clients.
- Client Focus – ensure that client needs are thoroughly assessed and referrals are done based on the needs and available resources. Maintain client confidentiality. Maintain agency and program ethical code of conduct requirements and personnel policies.
- Technical Capacity – must be proficient in use of LIHEAP database, utilize email, telephone system and ADP system.
- Collaboration Skills – able to work professionally with clients, LIHEAP team members and supervisor.
Supervisory Responsibilities – None
This job operates in a professional environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
This would require the ability to open filing cabinets, bend or stand as necessary. Must be able to lift 2 lbs.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full time/seasonal position. Days of work are Monday through Friday 8:30am to 4:30pm, 26-52 weeks per year.
Limited travel to attend off-site trainings as needed are the expected travel needs for this position
Required Education and Experience
- Must possess ability to interact well with a cross section of the population, and to effectively communicate the guidelines as well as the documentation requirements for Fuel Assistance.
- Must possess excellent telephone communication skills.
- Must be able to effectively and respectfully communicate with all callers.
- Must be computer literate and be able to work productivity in a fast-paced environment.
Preferred Education and Experience
- Customer Service experience and skills
- Proficient in Excel
Self Help, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, sex, national origin, age, disability, religion, ancestry, marital status, sexual preference, political or union affiliation.
E-mail or mail resume to:
Self Help Inc., Human Resources
45 Pearl Street
Brockton, MA 02301